March 05, 2007

Harder They Fall Author Congratulates Sarahjoy

When I first got clean and sober and started to construct a new life, which is now over twenty four years ago, one of the things I was most concerned with was that I thought my days of being hip and cool were over. Sobriety seemed like the squarest lifestyle imaginable. Little did I know that I would encounter the most creative, innovative and interesting people I've ever met, and this includes all those years when I thought being high was "it." About two years ago I was cruising the Internet when I chance encountered the website of a most remarkable young woman, by the odd name of Sarahjoy. After a bit of investigating I saw that she was touting her sobriety as well as her extraordinary creativity, with a line of "recoveryware" she was peddling. I'm not sure how we progressed from there, but we got in contact with each other and soon became buddies. Over the past couple of years I've written two books about recovery (The Harder They Fall: Celebrities Tell Their Real-Life Stories of Addiction and Recovery and Feeding the Fame: Celebrities Tell Their Real-Life Stories of Eating Disorders and Recovery") and when Sarahjoy heard about this she couldn't wait to read my work. Soon thereafter, in the mail one day a package arrived from Sarahjoy containing two mind boggling T-shirts. One said, "For God's Sake Don't Give Me Any Drugs!" and the other opined, "Don't Do Drugs, If You Do, You'll Go To Prison, and Drugs Are Expensive in Prison" (The logic of this last sentiment still escapes me.) At any rate, I wear these T-shirts proudly to my recovery meetings and always get asked about them, which gives me another opportunity to talk about my new, young friend. Sarahjoy, you have shared from your heart about your sobriety, and whatever the hell was going on with you. You are a wonderful example of what the sober life can bring and I commend you and honor your second anniversary. Keep going girl . . . You are a powerful example that it works. Love for sure, Gary Stromberg The Harder They Fall: Celebrities Tell Their Real-Life Stories of Addiction and Recovery

Subscribe in a reader

No comments: