March 08, 2008

Consequences From Addiction Hit Our Family Hard Today

From: KCI.org Methamphetamine Abuse

I've posted before about my nephews and their problems with drug addiction, and their addict dad.

Two years ago my oldest nephew plea bargained a paraphernalia and possession charge down to probation. About a year ago he left Texas without permission, stopped paying his fees, stopped reporting. He didn't even tell my sister goodbye, or call her for over a year. He went to live with his addict Dad in Louisiana.

Last month he got picked up in Arizona (was there on a job) and was extradited back to Texas.

Today he plea bargained the 3 and a half year prison sentence that was the automatic penalty for violating probation down to 120 days.

So my 21 year old nephew will be spending the next 4 months in the Texas Prison system (Huntsville).

His younger brothers aren't doing much better. Both of them got picked up (together) 2 weeks ago for truancy and paraphernalia, and both tested positive for drugs. They are 15 and 17. The 15 year old just got out of Juvie (for 18 months) in December. This is a probation violation for him, as well, so he'll likely be going back to TYC. When he came home in December, he said he was "done" and never wanted to go back. I believe him that he meant what he said. I know it is not because these boys are bad or flawed or hopeless. They are addicts. They are compelled to behave this way because they don't know how to make a different choice when the going gets tough.

I'm trying to be there for my sister as best that I know how. She's to the point that she is numb. The pain of losing all 3 of her boys to the same lifestyle their Dad lives is too much for her.

While I knew they were struggling, and I knew this was always a possibility, it still leaves me with a feeling of shock. My nephew, who's diaper I changed, who's swing I pushed, who always had a hug for Aunt Lori is in prison.

I remember a while back someone posted about a board for family members of those in prisons. If someone could PM me that info, I'd really appreciate it.


Prison Talk Forums

There is a fourm specifically for people who have loved ones in prison. I visit this site on occasion and find the information there very useful and they have a good group of members in the various forums. HTH

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/index.php
There is a fourm specifically for people who have loved ones in prison. I visit this site on occasion and find the information there very useful and they have a good group of members in the various forums. HTH

metheart from eci

Anonymous said...

Oh my. I really don't know how your sister continues on....that's a h3lluva lot of stress.
I'm glad she has you as a sister.

I really like the prisontalk forums. I don't go there anymore....as part of my recovery from my x bf....I would go there if I still had a relationship with anyone in prison.

It really could happen to any of us mothers....scares the bejeezus out of me.

luv

Anonymous said...

Consequences

Prison (San Quentin - even!!) staightened my Nephew out. He was living on the streets for about 1-1/2 years and serious Meth Addict. He broke into homes and stole goods to survive. He spent about one year in prison. He is straight and doing very well now.

His older brother killed himself due to his Meth addiction/Alcohol dependency and gang related issues. All the other 4 brothers had serious issues because of this. They all seem to be doing fine now. Time heals.

So to me, Prison isn't the end of the world. Continuing with Meth addition could very well be though.

Anonymous said...

I agree that this is probably the best place for him, and I hope that it does help him to change.

I'm most concerned with supporting my sister at this time.

Anonymous said...

im glad she has you,lori,you who is so informed about meth addiction
and that you ALL have to go through this must be devastating . .*hugs*

talking of san quentin . .there was a doco here recently about the place
and how there were different racial factions . .black,mexican,white .

most all the white men were in for meth-related stuff so the white guys were saying when interviewed